Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chapter Eight

After reading strategies appear to be the most important strategy when it comes to having students truly understand what they read. I liked the way that Beers explained that students are still thinking once the reading has stopped and that although they may not have done anything during the book and that they did not understand it, a teacher can still go back over it with the student so that they understand. My favorite after reading strategy was Text Reformulation. I thought that this strategy would be enjoyable for the students because it could harness their creative side, while still encouraging them to “identify main ideas, cause and effect, relationships, themes, and main characters while sequencing, generalizing and making inferences” (Beers, 2003, 160). As shown by the example in the classroom, this type of strategy really had students discussing critically the text as well as with one another. Another great thing about this strategy is that students are never bombarded with questions, but rather come up with the answers on their own and in their own way. This type of teaching I find particularly appealing because I think it is important for students to figure our ideas and concepts in a way that works for them, not just because it is the way that I tell them. Granted, if they are going about it completely wrong, it is my job and an educator to correct them, but for the most part I think it is vital for students to develop their own minds.

I also thought that the Save the Last Word for Me strategy would be one particularly great for a lower level class. I have found in my internship that when I am covering lower level classes there are only two or three students that actively participate in discussion. I think that the reason why is exactly like Beers states, that some students anticipate they are going to be wrong so they just choose not to speak. I think that this strategy is great for these students because it gives them a chance to participate and helps to establish confidence in them and their reading ability. It also is good for the teacher because it allows he/she to see what the student is struggling with in his/her reading.  

1 comment:

  1. I like the text reformulation suggestion as well. This works better for capable readers as it gets at higher level thinking. Struggling readers can have trouble with this unless you do a lot of prep work.
    The big thing is that we don't finish the book one day and move to a test the next. Comprehension doesn't stop with the last page of the book.

    ReplyDelete