Sunday, April 15, 2012

Culture of Reading


In my classroom I hope to create a safe environment for my students in which they feel comfortable reading. In order to accomplish this I plan on putting up quotes on the wall of different poetry and music so that way the students feel connected to reading and also so that they realize the impact of words and language on their everyday lives. In addition to this, I hope to create a library of different books for the students that will be dived into section by author and genre so that way the students, if they find a type of book that they enjoy, can pick another book to read that maybe they would not have thought to read. I believe that it is important to establish a sense of community and comfort for the students so that they will feel good about reading. I think that perhaps by having a couch or pillows or some kind of reading corner will help to create this type of comfort and community that I want.

I have also found in my internship that it is necessary now to explain to students why they have to do things and why things are important in their lives. To do this I plan on explaining to students why reading is so important and incorporating other media and forms of reading into my classroom so that they will realize why knowing how to read and enjoying reading is so vital to their everyday lives.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay - I love poetry and music to help set the tone in addition to adding comfortable furniture. You can add to the sense of community by having students share their opinions of books with others.

    ReplyDelete